Monday, January 28, 2013

Baak Wan (White Cloud) Chicken Wings -- 白雲雞翼

Baak Wan Chicken Wings (白雲雞翼) is a great summer recipe. It's a little sweet and sour, really open up your appetite during a hot, humid, summer day. But of course, I'm making it during one of the coldest days we have in the dead of the winter! (I woke up to 19F, or -7C, in the morning, with the temperature all the way down to 12F, or -11C, at night!!! I'm sure Steph deals with even colder days most of the time, but it doesn't mean it's still not cold!!!) I figured if I was making Coca-Cola wings, I might as well save a few pieces to try another recipe.

Baak Wan literally means "white cloud". I tried looking up the history/story behind it, but I wasn't able to find anything. To be honest, the version I'm more familiar with is actually made with chicken feet. But I think chicken feet is one of those things that you have to acquire a taste for. Otherwise, um, I think most people are kind of scared of it. (I, on the other hand, love it.)

This is a super easy recipe, I'd recommend only using chicken wings and chicken feet only. Parts with very little fat, collagen/skin, would become rubbery and bland. In another word, chicken breast is out.

Ingredients:

  • Dozen chicken wings
  • Optional: 1 Thai/ Bird's Eye chili, sliced (deseed and devein if you don't want it too spicy)


Marinade:

  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of vinegar
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/4 tsp of salt (adjust according to personal taste)


Directions:

  1. Wash chicken wings and boil in water for 10-15 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
  2. Rinse chicken wings with cool boiled water and rid of excess fat. Drain and let chill completely.
  3. In a separate pot, bring water and vinegar to a boil. Add sugar and salt till dissolved. Remove from heat and let chill completely. This should take about 30-45 minutes.
  4. Add chicken wings and marinade to a ziplock bag, add chili if using, chill overnight for at least 8-10 hours. (Only add wings to marinade when both are cool off completely.)
  5. Serve wings with sesame seeds.


Optional:
Double the marinade and marinade julienne carrot and daikon separately for a refreshing summer pickle.

Baak Wan Chicken Wings. Taken with my new camera!!!!!!!
I just checked the weather. It's 14F, feeling like 1F!!!! Bundle and be warm, kids! I probably will revisit this recipe again when the weather gets warmer!!! I hope you'll enjoy it. I'll be making more chicken wings in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment