Thursday, January 24, 2013

Jewellery: Charoite Ring

I'm not a particularly large person -- I'm huge for Asian, but not a particularly large person in the States. Some might even say I'm "small", but that's only because I'm usually standing next to people who are significantly larger than me.

With that being said, I prefer dainty, smaller pieces of jewellery. Well, particularly rings. I can't really pull off large necklaces, earrings, or rings. Working with smaller stones is kind of a pain (and does strain your eyes), and I have A LOT of beautiful large cabochons (flat-back stones) laying around, so what was I supposed to do with them?

I can't make earrings out of them, since I don't really have two of the same stones. (Okay, I guess I could make mismatching earrings...) I could make pendants with them, but I only wear same one pendant 364 days out of the year. I could make bracelets... Wait, I still haven't actually made a bracelet before -- so I just can't commit to that just yet. Or, I could make rings.

But I questioned, could I pull off a big ring? And I realised a lot of it really lies in one's attitude. If you think you could pull it off, then you could pull it off. (Okay, that might not be applicable to everything in life, but in this instance, I think it works.) Anyway, I made the big ring a while ago with a really beautiful charoite that I had and I honestly loved how ridiculous it is. When I made it, I left some "room" for improvement/add ons. I wanted to attach a chain to it, so I could wear it as a bracelet/ring combo. Well, I never got around to doing it. So while cleaning out my box of materials a while ago, I found another teardrop shaped charoite, and I thought maybe I could attach it to the existing ring and make it even more ridiculous.

Well. I did. I kept the style the same and now the ring is ridiculously heavy, but I think I'm loving it. The best part is that I have the flexibility to detach the "pendant" piece and add something else to it. You could see how dry my hand is. A small price to pay when you want to make fun jewellery to wear.

Charoite cocktail ring, with a ridiculous attachment dangling off of it.

Ridiculous? Sure. But I'm loving it. Next time though, however, I am going back to making small dainty stuff. But until then -- this is staying on my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment